Selective Licensing

Nottingham City Council have announced the introduction of Selective Licensing which will cover 90% of homes in the private rental sector within the city boundary.

A license will be a legal requirement for each property that a landlord owns within the Nottingham City designated licensing area. You can check whether your property is in the proposed selective licensing area through the Nottingham City Council website by using the link below:

The cost of a license is still yet to be confirmed, however at the moment Nottingham City Council has said the following:

“The proposed cost of the licence for landlords, who already have accreditation, is £520. This would mean the cost of a licence for accredited landlords would be £2 a week over the five years of the scheme. The proposed cost of a licence for non-accredited landlords is £780 per property for 5 years which is £3 a week over the five years of the scheme.  Whilst the fee may change prior to the implementation of the scheme, any changes in the fee are likely to be no more than 20% of fee proposed.”

A license will last for 5 years and the fee will need to be paid in a lump sum on application.

Who does Nottingham City Council consider to be an accredited landlord?

In order to apply for a license you don’t need to be an accredited landlord, however if you do obtain accreditation you will receive a discount on the license fee. Nottingham City Council runs a voluntary accreditation scheme through the organisations DASH and UNIPOL. The UNIPOL scheme covers student lets only, whereby DASH covers the general private rental sector. Any landlord can apply to sign up for DASH accreditation; however they must abide by a set of regulations known as the Nottingham Standard. These regulations cover far more than just the basic legal requirements and additional requirements stated in the Selective Licensing legislation.

The ‘Nottingham Standard’ regulations extend (but aren’t limited to) areas such as having mains operated fire and heat detectors, minimum room sizes for occupation and a minimum number of power points in certain rooms.

The cost to become DASH accredited is £95.00+VAT and this lasts for three years, afterwards the cost to renew is £45.00+VAT. The discount covers a landlord for up to five properties and in order to receive the discount accreditation must be in place throughout the five year licensing term.

Please note that in order to meet the Nottingham Standard/ DASH’s higher standards of habitation extensive works may need to be carried out on the properties that the accreditation covers. Because of this the cost of the works required may outweigh any potential discount on the license application from signing up to an accreditation scheme.

What documents do I need to support my licence application? You will need the following for your application (where these apply to the property) and more information on these documents will appear on the application page.
  • Plans of each floor of the property

These should show the layout of each floor, the details of amenities, include measurements and be clearly labeled.

  • Evidence of landlord insurance for the property

Sufficient landlord insurance should include cover for tenants to be put into temporary accommodation if the property is uninhabitable and public liability cover.

  • ‘Basic’ Disclosure certificate (a criminal record check) for proposed licence holder and proposed manager

You are required to provide a ‘basic’ disclosure certificate for the proposed licence holder and proposed manager. This is available from the Disclosure and Barring Service via the following website criminalrecord. The Council can only accept ‘basic’ disclosure certificates. The Council cannot and will not accept any other form of disclosure certificate such as ‘standard’ or ‘enhanced’.

  • Proof of right to reside (to live) in the UK for the proposed licence holder and proposed manager

Proof of right to live in the UK for the proposed licence holder and the proposed manager where these are people; if the proposed licence holder or manager is a company then this will not need to be provided.

  • Evidence of relevant training (if undertaken) by proposed licence holder

If you have undertaken relevant landlord training in the last 3 years please provide evidence of this.

  • A valid, in date, satisfactory Electrical Installation Condition Report or an Electrical Installation Certificate.
  • A valid, in date, satisfactory Gas Safety certificate (if there are gas appliances in the property).
  • Emergency Escape Lighting test certificate (if this is present in the property).
  • Fire alarm test certificate where there is a fire alarm control panel.
  • Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property

Although listed buildings are not required to have one of these, we require one to be submitted with the application.

  • Written Fire Safety Risk Assessment (If applicable).
  • Most recent portable appliance test (PAT) certificate (If portable appliances are provided by the landlords).
  • Building regulations completion certificate and planning consents (If applicable).
Important Frequently Asked Questions: Why do I need to tell others, like my mortgage provider, about my licence application?

Licences are legally enforceable and may require changes to the house. People with a legal interest in the property have a statutory right to know how the licence may affect them. This would include mortgage companies, other owners, managers, leaseholders, freeholders etc.

What happens if I do not comply with the licence conditions?

You run the risk of prosecution and a possible unlimited fine. The Council can now issue financial penalties of up to £30,000 for certain offences under the Housing Act 2004. This would be instead of prosecution. It may also affect your 'fit and proper' status and your licences will most likely be revoked.

I am currently a licence holder / owner / manager of a property covered by the mandatory or additional licensing scheme; do I need to apply again for a licence?

If a rented accommodation is already licensed (under the Additional or Mandatory licensing scheme), then this selective licensing proposal is separate to those schemes and you will not need to licence the accommodation under more than scheme. There may be buildings that have different accommodations within it that fall under different schemes, i.e. a shared flat licensed under the additional or mandatory scheme, with a singly occupied flat that requires licensing under the selective licensing scheme also within the building, but none of these ‘accommodations’ needs more than one licence. For more information visit

For further information regarding any questions you may have about the selective licensing scheme for Nottingham, please see the link below:

" We couldn't carry on without the superb management package provided by CDF Estates "
" They make being a landlord an absolute joy! If only I’d known sooner "
" It's great that CDF Estates are taking the strain and pain out of letting "
" CDF Estates have been renting out and managing my properties for over 15 years! "
" I am delighted with CDF's service and highly recommend them "
" My properties are let swiftly with a minimum of fuss "
" Staff are friendly, highly efficient and always keep me informed "
Find Your New Home
New To Nottingham?
Report an Issue
© 2019 CDF Estates Limited